Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Nutritionist says.....

So here is my continuation from a previous blog that will let you know what a nutritionist told us. You should get meats from the deli not prepackaged. When you are shopping half of your cart should be fruits and veggies. Berries are great for you. Red apples can be a substitute for taking Motrin....there is something in their skins. Cantaloupe is the healthiest. You should eat 1 oz. of nuts daily. Pears are #1 for dietary fiber. Watermelon is good for you and has lots of lycopene. Dried fruits are good, they have lots of calories. Garlic lowers cholesterol. You should have 4 servings of fish a week and if not you can take fish oil capsules. 3/4 of your plate should be carbs. 3-4 servings of red meat a week. Ground Turkey is the best for low fat. Sharp cheddar is good for you....because of the sharpness you will use less and save money on cheese.....I am not so sure about this one. I asked Rick if he wanted to try it and he said no...so she also said that mozzarella is better for you than mild cheddar so we are eating that more instead of mild. Pork is not the other white meat. She didn't like pork at all, too much fat. Don't eat chicken skins. Dark meat is okay if you need iron otherwise stay away from it. Low fat yogurt is better than non fat. She said that anything non fat has too much sugar added and you should do low fat. 3-4 egg yolks a week....not over that. You can eat the whites just not the yolks. She said to eat 25 grams soy daily but I haven't gone there yet. Drink 1% milk or less. Always drink 100% juice not the cocktails these have corn syrup. Also drinks with pulp are better. Frozen vegetables are ok just not with the sauces. White flour is bad, will make you hungry. You should eat bread that has 3 grams dietary fiber and 3 grams protein. Cereals with 5 grams dietary fiber and 5 grams protein. She suggested shredded wheat, mueslix, kashi, or fiber one. The closer they are too that the better. Canned beans are ok just make sure you drain the liquid and rinse well. No canned veggies(except for hurricanes). All natural peanut butter....you just have to stir and put in fridge(or I think just stir every time you open it.) Brown rice not white, it has fiber. Extra virgin olive oil and canola oil are good. If you drink caffienated drinks you can consume double your body weight in mg a day but she of course says soda pop is very very bad for you. Use pure maple syrup. All bran crackers, graham crackers, sun chips, whole wheat tostitos are all ok. Make sure your salad dressing has no corn syrup in it. If you are unsure of how many calories you should be getting she said add a zero to your weight or 15 calories per pound. She is of course suggesting all of this diet with proper exercise. She says you don't have to worry too much about your salt intake if you are sweating it off. If you aren't you need to watch your salt intake. Make sure if you are exercising and sweating it off you need to replenish it. Well that (ha ha) is all. Oh and guacamole and those whole wheat tostitos are so good together. I recommend you go right now and get some! Take care of yourselves!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Debi for the info. I have been eating too much pork obviously. I thought I was eating meat and that it was good for me, but I guess not. :) I will pass on some of my favorite recipes if you like. Also, you should try crock - pot cooking. There is nothing better. Love ya! Erin

Anonymous said...

Cool. Thanks Debi. I need to eat better. I'm gonna get right on it! Now if only reading your blog counted as exercise...

Tate

Pam said...

Thanks for the info. I have LOADS of room for improvement!