
Hey so Rick said to me that we needed to get some food storage going and I agreed so I am determined to get some together. I know the whole thing about buying some each time you go to the store. I also read that you shouldn't just have canned, dehydrated, bulk, etc, but should have a variety of stuff. I am cool with that. The only thing that I really need help with is recipes to use that stuff with......not the everyday canned stuff, but they say to get oats.....really what do you make oats with? If you know me I just don't know or just haven't really tried hard to be a cook. Lately I have been trying to be happier when I make food. I am doing pretty good. The last couple of days I have started having a hard time because nothing sounded good so I didn't know what to make. Luckily Rick is really good about all this. Anyway if you could tell me about your experiences with food storage stuff and how you use it. I would like to try new things so
don't tell me to just buy things we use.......again if you know me I mostly just do the same things over and over. That means I would have 3 different canned products and nothings else! Just kidding but I do want to have a variety of food storage stuff. Afterall if we do actually have an emergency type situation and have to just use our food storage I don't want to be stuck with just 3 things. You catch what I am asking you for?? Anyway email me please all your suggestions and recipes and tips! I will love you for it, well I already love you all, so I will just be really in love you. :)
don't tell me to just buy things we use.......again if you know me I mostly just do the same things over and over. That means I would have 3 different canned products and nothings else! Just kidding but I do want to have a variety of food storage stuff. Afterall if we do actually have an emergency type situation and have to just use our food storage I don't want to be stuck with just 3 things. You catch what I am asking you for?? Anyway email me please all your suggestions and recipes and tips! I will love you for it, well I already love you all, so I will just be really in love you. :)
4 comments:
http://www.mormonchic.com/recipe/recipebox/pages/foodstorage.asp
I googled "food storage recipes" and the above link was one of the results. That's funny that you wrote this b/c last weekend our ward had an emergency preparedness fair and one of the presentations was on the different recipes for using your food storage. We got a list of different recipes, including Apple Crisp, Waffles, Vegetarian Five Bean Chili, Whole Wheat Bread, Magic Mix Seafood Chowder, Vanilla Pudding, Mac'n'Cheese, soups, etc.
Another presentation was on food storage itself and Jody and I are inspired to go out and get those bags and cans from the cannery so we can start our food storage.
Tate
I'm not much help here. We got some food storage from one of those companies that sells the dehydrated foods that you add water to. It's actually pretty good food and would be really good if you were starving. And it has a shelf life of 20 years. And we also have the #10 cans of rice, flour, pinto beans, macaroni, etc. That kind of stuff that you can always eat and use in a pinch. Other than that, I do just stock up on the normal canned foods that we always eat. It's a start but we have a long way to go.
MRE's also work great for food storage, I'm told.
Next year if you still end up coming out here you can go to the Bishop's Storehouse and maybe can a few things (dry pack canning) and take them home with you. They sell a recipe book there for about $2 that gives many recipes that use the storage items purchased at the cannery- the dry packed items. A suggestion and I know with you trying to eat healthy this might sound criminal, but they suggest having hard sucker candy in food storage because if something does happen, a piece of candy will make a child feel like everything is going to be all right and it says "life is normal". Plus it breaks the monotony should we ever have to live on our food storage and it lasts a long time (in storage). Dry pack canning just gives stored items a long shelf life and that is important because you don't want to have to replace everything every other year. That is too expensive and hard to keep up with. Canned items have to be rotated on a regular basis or they go bad (I am talking your normal canned items- not the dry packed ones.) Keep up the good work. You might become domesticated yet..just like dogs and cats. That should be okay with you. I love you, and thanks for sharing. I enjoy reading your stuff. Mom
Post a Comment