Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I amaze myself!


So I said that I have been trying to make more food, different meals. I went to a cooking class in my ward and it was on what to do with a tortilla. I love tortillas so I went to see what I could learn. I only do a few things with them....quesadillas, tacos, enchiladas. So these wraps are coming out now and she had a few wrap recipes. I liked them but I decided to add some of my own stuff and make them better, I hoped. So I have chicken, lettuce(romaine, but you can use spinach or any other kind you like), tomatoes, shredded carrots(I like them this way in the wraps), red bell peppers(these or orange ones are the healthiest for you), an egg(we just threw this in, normally I haven't put it in), cucumber, radish, half an apple, raw sunflower seeds shelled, raw pumpkin seeds shelled, sesame sticks, chow mein noodles, and we use raspberry viniagrette. Everything is chopped pretty small and mixed together. Don't add the dressing, sesame sticks, or chow mein noodles till you are ready to eat them, I like the crunchiness of them. So when you are ready to eat them mix in the dressing, sesame sticks and noodles, then dump onto your tortilla and wrap up. I like whole wheat tortillas the best but they need to be heated up a tad so that they don't crack when you are rolling them up. We have tried them with the plain and spinach herb tortillas. Your tortillas should also be the big ones to be able to wrap it up. See I am not a cook......I didn't even write the recipe like a recipe. I will work on that skill as well! Anyway I hope you try this and enjoy it. Rick really likes it as do I. We are still working on getting Loni to eat different things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's cool that you're learning new recipes. I've been trying to do that lately too. A week or two ago I made a tuna caserole for the first time. Jody called me an old lady. The next thing I want to try making is chicken enchiladas. They might be my favorite food ever. Would you pass along your recipe to me? Please? Thanks! I have one question though....radish? Really? Radish?????? :)
Tate

Pam said...

This sounds and looks good. I'm going to have to try it. I love the spinach herb wraps.

Anonymous said...

Debi, sprouts are a great addition to this kind of thing, too, or if you like it, cilantro...I love cilantro on about anything; fried rice, chow mein, just any old salad at all...and tell Tate, or perhaps I should tell Tate, radishes are a very popular addition to tons of foods in Mexico. I can't remember who told me that, but I know the person knew...might have even been Juan. You can make wraps with any kind of meat, too, if you are feeling a need for meat.. a little bit goes a long way, I think. Of course, I would add mushrooms to all that stuff, especially, portabella mushrooms. It is too bad you don't like mushrooms because portabella mushrooms really have a meaty type texture and they are good for lots of stuff including fertility and being "in the mood." I love you and I find it funny that you are really embracing good eating- good as in healty- You know me I love to eat healthy as much as I love to eat trashy. I really work harder on eating healthy though...I hope it shows. I know as large as my mom was and she die from cancer, but she really was my inspiration for healthy eating. You probably don't remember, but when you were little I always made everything from scratch and I bought a bushel box-each- of oranges and apples ever other week for your snacks. I tried, but just like the gospel, we all have to get our own testimonies of truth. You will probably find a good balance in the years to come of eating mostly good and indulging yourself on a treat from time to time. I love you...Mom