Monday, August 29, 2011

Just so you know, we are ok.

Hey if you hadn't heard, VA had an earthquake last Tuesday then starting Friday we got rain from Hurricane Irene. My mom is visiting so she had a hotel res. for us in case we had to evacuate on Saturday. We didn't really know what to expect. All the storms I have been through so far haven't been too eventful. I can say this one was only different in one way really, the loss of power. Everything else was pretty good. My neighborhood doesn't flood, we don't have too many trees around to be scared of falling on our house, and we are in the middle of a line of townhouses so it feels a little safer. We decided to stay put at my house instead of leaving so we had ice for the chance of losing power and having to keep things cold. We got lots of water and prepped the house for the storm. Everything was great till 8:30 pm Saturday. The power went out. It is always shockingly dark when that happens. It stayed out. Church was cancelled so we didn't have any plans to be anywhere Sunday. So we headed to bed after I found all my flashlights, candles, etc. Sunday all my neighbors said that it could be 3-4 days! Yikes! I wasn't happy with that. Then my most closest neighbors said that it wouldn't be that long. Yeah! I liked their thoughts more. So we decided to have church at home and my mom gave a fantastic prayer that power would be restored soonish. I don't think that is what she said exactly but you get the idea. Well a little ways through our little church I heard some noises and a little popping noise. So I got up and flicked the light switch and we had POWER! YEAH! All my negativity went away and we finished up church. (It was about 2:30.)

We did feel a little bad when my neighbors behind us in the houses didn't have power, but the got it at 8pm.

4 comments:

Jami said...

Glad to hear you guys are okay!!! We have been thinking of you!

Tate, Jody, Jocelyn, and Tyler said...

Glad to see you can post again! :) Did you guys take any photos or video of the whole event? I was wondering if you are dealing with flooding which is what they are talking about on the news now. I'm glad things didn't get any worse than the power outage and that it was for a relatively short amount of time. love you.
jody

Juniel Bingham said...

Phew! Glad you guys are okay! Been thinking of you! Love you guys!

Debi said...

Yes.. for anybody that has experienced Idaho wind storms... pretty similar except for the rain is really wetter and way more of it. But it was my first experience with a hurricane and I hope my last and it was impressive. Hurricanes are way scary. Love, Mom