Monday, April 27, 2009

Sunrise in Guam

The only reason I have pictures of the sunrise is I got up way to early to run in a race. Who wakes up at three in the morning to run? Apparently quite a few people. There were 52 teams with a max of 10 people per. I heard there were a couple of crazies who ran it solo. It was a 48 mile relay around the southern half of Guam. There were eight of us so I only had to run six miles. We ended up seventh with a time of 5:35. Our team would have liked to do better but they were short a couple of people and had me.




I at least got spaghetti and a t-shirt out of the deal. So long as I don't get the uphill legs it may be worth doing again.


4 comments:

Tate, Jody, Jocelyn, and Tyler said...

good to "see" you, rick!!! way to run 6 miles. pretty impressive! tate's brother-in-law just did a crazy race like that. his was a 50 mile race. he ended up completely 41 miles. i think he is crazy. you can see his story under our blog friends (the snow family.) why do they start at 3am? does it get to hot? hope all is well with you in guam.
jody

Stubborn and Crazy said...

Congrats! I have done of few of these relays. They are fun. I agree that as long as it isn't all uphill you can always do it again.

Terry and Gail said...

Good job...I used to run the 24th of July relay race. I would run with some of the kids in our ward or stake because they could never get enough of their friends out of bed to do it and they knew that I got up early to run anyway...so they always invited me to do it. But I don't get off on racing. I makes me too nervous, too competitive and just plain old sick. I did race for about 3 or 4 years and decided I didn't like it. I wanted to do my running and walking for me and my brain (I need thought time and lone time). I think you guys placed very well. You don't have anything to be ashamed of. It is fun to place first...but I don't think getting a reward such as first place is as rewarding as just having the freedom and confidence to know that you can do something like that if you needed to. To know that you could get up and walk or run for quite a while and be okay is really a huge freedom. Most people can't say they can do that. What are you carrying in your hand in that last picture where you are flashing your white bare chest??? It must be so hot and sticky there. Love, Gail

Mindy said...

Rick come run with my team and I we are running 178 miles from logan to park city and we each run 3 times! I have to run just over 18 miles!